Sunday, March 16, 2014

Natrona's Johnson caps illustrious career with elusive team title



Cheyenne East's player struggles to shoot over Natrona County's Kaylee Johnson as Natrona County faced Cheyenne East on Saturday, March 15, 2014, during the Class 4A Wyoming State High School Girls Basketball Championship at the Casper Events Center. Natrona County defeated Cheyenne East 33-28 to take the Class 4A state title. 

Sisco Molina, trib.com, March 16, 2014


Kaylee Johnson has a room full of individual awards, but the only thing on her mind was a state championship. She saw her Natrona County teammates win one in volleyball in October, and she wanted one of her own.
"I would give up all the individual awards just for this one," said Johnson. "I thought I'd be emotional, but honestly with this team and its confidence, we expected this. We all knew we were going to go strong until the end and ultimately win the prize."
The Fillies defeated Cheyenne East 33-28 on Saturday in the final of the Class 4A Wyoming State High School Girls Basketball Championship.
Johnson finished with just five points in the game, but pulled down 18 rebounds in the victory. It wasn't the best game of her career, but she helped the Fillies capture their first state championship since 2000 and won the award that's both eluded her and meant the most to her.
"We all played strong, and we did it for each other," said Johnson. "None of us played for ourselves. We won for each other.
"We knew it was going to be a battle from the beginning and that it would take all 32 minutes."
Johnson, who will continue her career at Stanford, will take a short break before beginning her next basketball challenge.
"I guess all I can do is prep for college," Johnson said. "I'll get summer workouts going and get ready for the next chapter of my life. I'm excited. I'll be sad to leave these girls, this program and this coach, but I'll support them no matter what, and I know they'll be supporting me, too."




No comments:

Post a Comment