Sunday, January 18, 2015

La Cueva senior Romano trying to win state championship before heading on to Stanford/Update




Andy Morgan, kob.com, January 13, 2015


Alexa Romano is a 5'9" senior for the La Cueva Lady Bears, and she can do it all.
"She doesn't really have a chink in her armor," said La Cueva head coach Robert Perea. "She's the best defender on the team, she's the best passer, best ball handler and she's the best shooter."
"I have different aspects of my game, so I think being a combo guard is what sets me apart," Romano said.
She has the skills to take over a game with her elite ability to score the basketball, and her coach wouldn't mind seeing her be a little less unselfish.
"Sometimes she's got that pass-first mentality, and when the clock starts to become four minutes or less, I just want her to shoot the ball" Perea said.
For Romano, it's all about flipping a switch.
"It flips on during close games. When it's tied [in the] 4th quarter, I just get competitive. I feel alive. Those games make you intense," she said.
Romano will play her college ball at Stanford University next season. And while her focus is on winning a state championship at La Cueva this year, she's excited about the opportunity to play for one of the top college coaches in the nation.
"Playing for Tara VanDerVeer, a hall of famer…I just love to challenge myself, and playing under her is going to be a really big challenge."
Romano's next challenge will come on Wednesday against Albuquerque High.

_____________________________________

Mark Rudi, csun-news.com, January 16, 2015

The Las Cruces girls lost to La Cueva 46-39 on Friday night at Las Cruces High School.
Stanford signee Alexa Romano had 11 points for the Bears.



No comments:

Post a Comment