Sunday, November 22, 2015

Stanford lands Horizon standout




Steve Brand, sandiegouniontribune.com, October 27, 2015

Horizon Christian’s Dijonai Carrington had her choice of major college basketball programs, and she selected West Coast power Stanford University.

Carrington averaged 27.4 points and a whopping 21.1 rebounds a game in leading Horizon (23-9) to the section Division I championship last year with a 66-59 victory over Mount Miguel. She also averaged 3.6 assists and 3.3 steals.
The 6-foot senior with great body control and jumping ability suffered a torn ACL playing club ball over the summer and could miss the entire 2015-16 season. It’s not the same ACL that she injured two years ago, from which she returned to play at an even higher level.
“The question is do I risk playing my senior year (of high school) versus being ready for my freshman year of college,” said Carrington, a 4.0 student who also considered Notre Dame, Cal and Texas A&M.
“I want to focus on getting my whole body ready. Stanford gives me opportunities academically, athletically and socially and I’ve worked extremely hard in high school to get to this position. I think I’ll bring something unique that Stanford’s never had before.
“Picking Stanford was the hardest decision of my life. I finally had to go into my room, close the door, turn out the lights and make a decision because all of the schools were good.”



No comments:

Post a Comment