Thursday, March 03, 2016

All in the family: Anna Wilson shoots for championship of her own



GABE COHEN AND VIENNA CATALANI, komonews.com, March 3, 2016

A rising star from Bellevue High School is playing in the first round of the WIAA girls' state tournament at the Tacoma Dome on Thursday.

"My brother is Russell Wilson so, so that's pretty awesome," Anna Wilson tells KOMO News.

Anna - sister to Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson - is leading her team with hopes of winning the Wolverine's first Class 3A state championship in decades.

"I try to stay focused on basketball. I watch Stephen Curry, Kobe Bryant," Anna says. "I want to grow everyday, be better, and be a great teammate."

The 18-year-old point guard moved to Bellevue her senior year from Richmond, Virginia.
"I feel right at home, my brother is here," Anna says. "I love it here, it's so different, everyone can be their own kind of person."

Anna already has one gold medal for playing with the 2014 USA Women's Under-17 team, and was voted MVP after helping Bellevue earn a title in the Nike Tournament of Champions. She's following in her brother's footsteps, and lets her athleticism speak for itself.

"For a while I thought I lived in my brother's shadow, but I don't think I live like that anymore. I have my own personal accomplishments," Anna says. "Having a brother like that makes me competitive. I want to win at everything."

Anna is headed to Stanford University on scholarship, and hopes to one day play in the Women's National Basketball Association.

"I'm gonna be a great student most importantly," Anna says. "I'm gonna be the best I can everyday."

Before that, she'll be competing with her high school team starting Thursday at the Tacoma Dome.

"We're gonna have some good games this weekend, so I'm excited," Anna says. "I'm never really nervous for games, I'm always prepared."

No comments:

Post a Comment