Thursday, February 02, 2017

Wagner’s Williams presented with jersey for McDonald’s All-American Game


Wagner senior guard Kiana Williams was presented with a jersey for the McDonald’s All-American Game during a ceremony in the school gym on Wednesday.

David Hinojosa, mysanantonio.com, February 1, 2017

Wagner senior point guard Kiana Williams was presented with a jersey for the McDonald’s All-American Game during an after-school ceremony in the school’s gym on Wednesday.
“It’s all becoming a reality right now,” Williams said. “I’m thankful for everyone’s support. It means a lot to me. I can’t wait for the game, but first we have to get through this season.”
Last month, Williams was one of 24 players selected for the prestigious national all-star game. The 16th edition of the girls game will be at 4 p.m. March 29 at United Center in Chicago. It will be televised live on ESPN2.
“It’s such a prestigious honor,” Williams said. “It means a lot to be playing with some of the nation’s best. It means a lot.”
Williams is averaging a team-best 21.5 points for the top-ranked Thunderbirds. Wagner (22-5) has already clinched a playoff spots. The Thunderbirds are tied with Steele in second place in District 27-6A at 10-2, one game behind Judson (11-1).
Williams follows former Wagner teammate Amber Ramirez, a two-time Express-News Player of the Year and a freshman at TCU, who played in last year’s game.
“Her work ethic pushed me,” Williams said of Ramirez. “I wanted to follow in her footsteps. She set the tone.”
Williams is one of the country’s top-ranked guards. ESPN has her listed No. 8 on its recruiting rankings for the 2017 class.
“It’s going to make me work harder,” Williams said. “I’m going to have a target on my back, and I can’t get relaxed. Night in, night out I have to show why I deserve this honor.”
Williams is the fifth girl from the San Antonio-area to be selected and the sixth player overall. Other girls include Ramirez, Kyra Lambert of Clemens (2015), Recee’ Caldwell of FEAST (2014), Meighan Simmons of Steele (2010).


No comments:

Post a Comment