Saturday, March 09, 2019

From Europe, to Bay Area, to CIF Open girls basketball final


Pinewood High School Hannah Jump (24) of Los Altos fights for the ball against Windward High school forward Kaiyah Corona (23) of Los Angeles during the CIF Girls open Division Championship at the Golden 1 Center in Sacramento, Calif., on Saturday, March 24, 2018.
Vytas Mazeika, mercurynews.com, March 9, 2019

Stanford-bound Hannah Jump, Yale-bound Klara Astrom conclude hardwood partnership in Open Division state final.


Hannah Jump hails from England, while Klara Astrom grew up in Sweden. Frequent stamps on passports aren’t uncommon for the girls basketball imports to the Peninsula.
“I still have a lot of family there, so I go back and visit,” Jump said. “And I’ve played two years for their national team, so I’ve been back there for that, too.”
“I have a lot of childhood memories from there,” Astrom said. “My whole family lives there, I don’t have anyone in the U.S., so we go back a lot. And, yeah, I play for the national team, too. It’s definitely connection to the roots.”
Uprooted from Europe to the Bay Area before the age of 10, their paths first crossed on a court as fourth-graders.


No comments:

Post a Comment